Respiratory Illnesses: Minister Urges Continued Vigilance – St. Lucia Times

The content originally appeared on: St. Lucia Times News

On Tuesday, Health Minister Moses Jn Baptiste advised continued vigilance regarding respiratory illness, despite a slight decrease in people visiting hospitals and wellness centres.

Jn Baptiste noted an increase in respiratory illnesses in the last few months.

However, he said there had been a ‘slight decline’ in the number of individuals visiting wellness centres and hospitals in the past few weeks.

“However, we cannot take comfort in that. We know that over the past few months, a number of individuals have come down with respiratory illnesses,” the Minister noted.

He said those individuals cannot go to work.

As a result, Jn Baptiste urged citizens to take the necessary precautions, including using face masks, especially if they are ill or visiting sick people in the hospital or at the wellness centres.

“Let us not let our guard down,” the Health Minister advised.

Regarding a mask mandate, Jn Baptiste told reporters the government had considered no new measures because of respiratory illnesses.

But he said public education and awareness activities were increasing so people could become more cautious.

Health officials have said they continue to monitor respiratory cases and manage individuals with flu-like symptoms due to new COVID-19 variants, Influenza A and B, and Respiratory Syncytial Virus.

In addition, on Monday, Chief Medical Officer Dr. Sharon Belmar-George  reported decreased hospitalisations and deaths due to COVID-19 over the past fourteen days.

Please note that comments are moderated. When commenting, please remember: 1) be respectful of all, 2) don’t make accusations or post anything that is unverified, 3) don’t include foul language, 4) limit links, 5) use words, not volume, and 6) don’t add promotional content. Comments that do not meet the above criteria or adhere to our “Commenting Policy” will not be published.