Saint Lucia’s existing COVID-19 protocols will continue for December and January, as authorities here monitor the Omicron variant of the virus.
But the authorities may revisit the protocols.
In a statement Tuesday, Health, Wellness, and Elderly Affairs Minister Moses Jn Baptiste observed that health authorities had identified eleven Omicron cases in the United Kingdom, a significant source market for visitors to Saint Lucia.
Jn Baptiste said the Government is aware that at least two Caribbean countries have imposed travel bans on flights and visitors from Southern Africa.
– Advertisement –
And he said Saint Lucia is closely monitoring the situation.
At the same time, the Vieux Fort North MP disclosed that discussions are ongoing with the Caribbean Regional Public Health Agency (CARPHA) to roll out a test that local labs can use to spot Omicron.
In addition, Jn Baptiste observed an increase in COVID-19 cases after last year’s festive season due to quarantine breaches and large social gatherings.
As a result, he said, the Government encourages citizens to follow the protocols to avoid some of last year’s mistakes.
The Minister’s complete statement, in which he outlined the protocols that will continue for December and January, appears below: