A top United States military official has said Washington is pausing a $14bn arms sale to Taiwan to conserve munitions for its war on Iran.
Acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao provided the update to lawmakers during a Senate hearing on Thursday, a week after the weapons sale took centre stage in talks between US President Donald Trump and Chinese leader Xi Jinping in Beijing.
- list 1 of 4US says it has not changed its stance on sanctioning Francesca Albanese
- list 2 of 4US Senate pushes back against Trump’s $1.8bn ‘anti-weaponisation’ fund
- list 3 of 4Turkish court ousts leader of main opposition party
- list 4 of 4Greenlanders protest opening of new US consulate in Nuuk
end of list
“Right now, we’re doing a pause in order to make sure we have the munitions we need for Epic Fury – which we have plenty,” Cao told the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Defense.
“But we’re just making sure we have everything, but then the foreign military sales will continue when the administration deems necessary.”
Cao said any decision to move forward with the sale – which would be the largest ever weapons transfer to Taiwan – would be made by Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth and Secretary of State Marco Rubio.
The war has been paused since the US and Iran agreed to a ceasefire on April 8, but the sides have yet to reach a permanent peace deal.
The US Congress approved the weapons package for Taiwan in January, but the sale requires Trump’s sign-off to move forward.
If approved, the sale would surpass a record-breaking $11bn arms package for Taiwan approved by Trump in December.
Taiwanese Premier Cho Jung-tai told reporters on Friday that Taiwan would continue to pursue arms purchases, according to Taiwanese news outlet FTV News.
William Yang, senior analyst for northeast Asia at the Crisis Group, said in a social media post that the pause will “exacerbate anxiety and scepticism about US support in Taiwan and make it difficult for the Taiwanese government to request additional defence budget for the foreseeable future”.
Advertisement
Trump, who has confirmed that he discussed the arms sale with Xi, said last week in an interview with Fox News that he “may” or “may not” approve the package.
Trump has also suggested that the package could be used as a “negotiating chip” – despite a decades-old precedent against consulting with Beijing on arms sales.
China claims self-governing Taiwan as part of its territory, and objects to Washington’s ongoing but unofficial support for Taipei.
The US government does not officially recognise Taiwan but is committed to helping the island to defend itself under the 1979 Taiwan Relations Act, enacted shortly after Washington severed diplomatic ties with Taipei.
Trump has continued to test the status quo on Taiwan in other ways, saying earlier this week that he would consider speaking to Taiwanese President William Lai Ching-te about the arms deal.
Such a move would break with four decades of diplomatic protocol against direct talks with the Taiwanese leader and almost certainly provoke an angry response from Beijing.
Trump held a phone call with former Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen after his 2016 election win, but their talks took place before he was sworn in as president.
Related News
MSF accuses Israel of manufacturing a malnutrition crisis in Gaza
Hacked educational platform partially restored for millions of students
Man killed in great white shark attack in western Australia